Monday, January 18, 2010

#3 honor or emulate?

Today I rode my motorcycle over to the bank to cash a check, completely forgetting that the banks are closed on this national holiday. MLK is a hero of mine, but I forget that our country still honors him. Where hate speech and exclusivity prevails in most media and social outreaches, including churches, I tend to giggle when I think about our nation honoring Dr. King.  Until I can emulate his example, I really can't talk though.
I still hang out with people like me.  I give freely of my time and gifts to those who appreciate them.  I don't like to love people who misbehave, who are rude, or misinformed.  I'm easily annoyed with people who simply regurgitate, with passion, what they heard on a 24 hr news channel.  In my prayer today, as I remember Dr. King, I'm praying that I can love the abortionist as much as I love the innocent child, that I can love the fear monger as much as I love the immigrant. 
Lord, have mercy on me, a bigot.  Give me the grace to see how recklessly you love all of your children, and the grace to love them as you love them. 

3 comments:

Arleen Spenceley said...

Dang, Ennie! Every entry challenges me. In a good way.

"I don't like to love people who misbehave, who are rude, or misinformed."

I live that sentence with a passion every single time I am behind the wheel of a car. :-/ How hard it is to love when I am so focused on myself that I take every other driver's bad move personally.

Arleen Spenceley said...

PS:

Here's a quote about love that I think you'll dig: "Genuine Christian love is forged against the anvil of our selfishness and possessiveness... It is important to remember that love is more than a feeling. It is active and transitive. The real test of my loving is not that I feel loving, but that the other person feels loved by me. Love is what I do to create this sense of feeling cared for." - Morton T. Kelsey

Stacey said...

This was convicting. Thank you.